Google Groups
Subscribe to nepal-democracy
Email:
Visit this group

Wednesday 22 August 2007

Peace please

Prerana Marasini
So you're from Nepal? The country of Maoists," reacted a foreign classmate of mine here in India. "You can't say it's the country of Maoists; I'm not a Maoist," I retaliated. "Don't deny your country is going through turmoil and there hasn't been any settlement even after the revolution," he said, "Believe it or not but the synonym for Nepal has become Maoists today."
Feeling a little dejected at the comment, that too in a different land, I wanted to think for a while that Nepal is still the same-peaceful-but I couldn't agree to myself. I went to the computer lab and logged on to Nepali websites to update myself with the latest political news. I hoped to see some positive news, something that was not related with deaths and damages, bandas and its aftermaths but I had to be disappointed again.
A parliamentarian had been attacked ruthlessly by Maoist cadres. The news said that they wanted to burn him alive, in public. I got goose bumps. I hadn't heard anything like that before and felt ashamed too. If the parliamentarians were attacked that way, I wondered what happens to the ordinary citizens. I felt emotionally hurt too, as the Maoists who joined the government months ago were still carrying out barbaric activities.
Some weeks ago, I had read the news in which they had attacked a DFO. The fact that they were still embracing people-frightening image disgusted me. Their participation in the government should show respect towards law and order. Involvement of their cadres in activities like these indicates either they haven't been able to implement law in their own group or, they want to remain as rebels. No matter what!
I was still pondering over the remark of my foreign friend, whose nationality I don't want to reveal, when I read something that gave me another blow. The news read: "CPN Maoists have formed committees for eight different ethnic-based 'states' under a federal structure for the country." States? I waited a second trying to figure out what they meant by that. 'Seti-Mahakali, Tharuwan, Magarat, Tamuwan, Newa, Madhes..' gave me a complete picture what these followers of Mao Tse-tung were up to. Split the nation!!
When I was a kid, I always thought of various things to introduce my country, in addition to the tallest peak and the Light of Asia, with foreigners. At this moment, however, I could not think of anything else except the green combatants with red bandana, the group that calls itself Young Communist League and carries out atrocities, and the leaders like Prachanda, Baburam, Mahara, and Hisila. I also remembered what Jwala Singh said-"We won't allow constituent assembly election to take place." I also visualized the everyday bandas and burning of tyres, destruction and demolition, hues and cries.
The more I thought, the more pessimist I became. I tried to divert my mind to the natural beauty of the country. But even that didn't help. I wanted to tell my classmate on his face: "Hey, I come from a peaceful country, okay." If only it was true….I sat back and closed my eyes.
Source: The Kathmandu Post, August 22, 2007

No comments: